What We Do
Garry Coff Consulting Services is a specialist Health Facility Planning and Interior Design practice, focusing on Hospital building redevelopment, extensions and alterations to improve efficiency and compliance. We can bring together appropriate personnel and resources to meet the needs of a broad range of clients, covering any scale of project from major Hospital Master Planning to minor alterations advice.
Following 22 years in commercial design, we commenced our consulting operation in Adelaide in 1994 and have experience in South Australia, Interstate and Overseas Hospital Design Projects as well as Community Health Centres, Medical Practice accommodation, General Commercial Office environments and Domestic Residential planning approvals. Please refer to the Projects tab for details of our expertise in:
- Master Planning Projects
- Metropolitan Hospitals
- Country Hospitals
- Indigenous Health and Aged Care
- GP Plus and Medical Centres
- International Projects
- Aged Care
- Asset Assessment
- Mental Health
- Office Fitout
Garry can provide support as part of your own client team, assess an existing design to report on functionality, or as Lead Consultant where we appoint and manage a complete team consisting of Health Planning specialists, Architects and Specialist Services Engineering consultants.
The main focus of the practice is Health and Aged Care, and we offer extensive experience in the planning and design of cost effective facilities tailored to meet the needs of health service providers. We can assist with the preparation of specifications (for building and equipment), tender calls, design, documentation and co-ordination of sub-consultants and Architects.
We understand the need to ensure all projects are able to demonstrate a Best Business Case scenario and we produce Option Analysis and Economic Evaluation justification for all proposals. Garry will drive the consultation and planning components of your project to ensure a balance of functional elements is maintained within the resultant facility.
The experience Garry Coff had as ‘client’ in projects provides our team with a unique advantage over consultants who operate from a base of Architecture or architecturally focused Health Planning. We understand clearly the objectives of the Hospital and the importance of full consultation to ensure important operational issues are not overlooked or glossed over as minor management issues.
This experience assists us to fully appreciate the need for flexibility required to manage change into the future and deal with the constant need to reduce costs in order to maintain services and improve quality.
We believe that the integration of Strategic Planning, Facilities Management, Architecture, Interior and Graphic Design and Landscape Architecture during the briefing and concept development stage of a project will greatly assist the Client Group in achieving a clear understanding of the opportunities available as a result of the planning process and will improve planning outcomes.
Examples of Recent Projects that Garry has been involved in include:
- assisting Woodhead Architects in developing Master Plans for Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital and Logan Hospital (991 beds) in Queensland and for Hornsby Hospital and the Goulburn Base Hospital in NSW.
- leading a number of design projects in Asia, working under contract to VAMED (2008 until today) including:
- Design Reviews of three major Hospital Projects in Bangkok,
- Disability Friendly Design Review for The Queen Sirikit National Institute for Child Health (QSNICH) in Bangkok.
- Briefing for a new 300 bed Super Specialty Islamic Hospital near Kuantan, Malaysia,
- Concept Planning for a 1500 bed Public Hospital in the rural centre of Pizhou, South of Bejing,
- Concept Design for a new 110 bed Private Hospital for the MCS Corporation in Ulan Bataar, Outer Mongolia.
- leading the design of a number of Operating Suite facilities including High Volume Short Stay (HVSS) Surgical Services at Hornsby Hospital in the Northern suburbs of Sydney, and proposals for new theatre Concepts for Specialist and Isolation Surgical Suites in Thailand to support a specialist orthopaedic transplant surgical service.
- involvement in the development of several major Central Sterilizing Services Departments (CSSD), both stand alone and incorporating Theatre Sterilizing Service functions to achieve an efficient, safe environment for staff working in these critical areas.
- been involved in planning for Birthing Suite and Delivery services, including Neonatal Intensive Care and Special Baby Care Units, at a number of health units including involvement in the planning of suites at the Women’s and Children’s Hospital in Adelaide.
- led the Concept Planning and Design for the redevelopment of a Medium Secure Mental Health Unit on the site of the Townsville Hospital to assist Queensland Health in the development of a new Service Model for the management of Medium Secure Mental Health Clients.
- providing Facility Planning consultancy for the Design and Construction of the new Roxby Downs Hospital in remote outback South Australia – this project encompasses interesting concepts for small isolated Health Units covering a broad range of services.
- participated in the development of a sustainable Model of Service for the Emergency Department at the Caboolture Hospital, North of Brisbane, following the closure of the facility by Medical staff at the Hospital (2009). The project required consideration of the recruiting and training of staff, the establishment of links with other Tertiary facilities and facility planning design to address workflow issues at the Hospital.
- Whilst conducting a review of the Sirriraj Development in Bangkok, Garry was invited to address a meeting of the Healthcare Leader Development Association of Thailand (HealDAT.org) on the subject of ‘The Future of Health Facility Design’, attended by leading medical specialists and Hospital owners and Executives currently leading the transition of Health Service Delivery across Thailand.